Carman and Sudoku are going to be involved in a public speaking group that meets for the first time in a little over a week. They are supposed to come with something memorized and should speak for no more than 60 seconds. Each student will be critiqued by a couple of parents. Then each student will be given a topic for an impromptu speech. That should be fun.
In thinking about what to have them memorize, I’m leaning toward some notable quotes. For Carman, we’ll probably use the Booker T. Washington quotes we have on this site. For Sudoku, I’m thinking of some of the following Helen Keller quotes. (My thought is that I’d like them to memorize a bunch of little nuggets of wisdom this time around.)
So here are some Helen Keller nuggets.
- Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.
- Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
- College isn’t the place to go for ideas. [And Keller was the first blind deaf to earn a bachelor of arts degree.]
- Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn whatever state I am in, therein to be content.
- Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
- Never bend your head. Hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.
- No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
- People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
- Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything good in the world.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.
- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.
- There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his.
I got this image from Wikipedia. (Isn’t her blouse elegant?)